Monday, September 7, 2009

Foundation and Zombies

With the surprise success of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which features Jane Austen's original Regency romance interspersed with "all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem", publishers are looking for other works to turn into monster mash-ups. I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that Isaac Asimov's classic Foundation Trilogy is ripe for zombification, and that I'm just the man to do it. For a sample of my own skills at Asimov pastiche, I direct your attention to "After Earth", my ongoing sequel to the Foundation series.

Of course, unlike Austen's oeuvre, the Foundation Trilogy is still under copyright, so a Foundation and Zombies mash-up would require permission from the Asimov estate. If Janet and company are agreeable, though, it would be the work of mere weeks to recast the tale. Instead of the usual historical factors, the fall of the Galactic Empire can be the result of a steady rise in zombie outbreaks. Hari Seldon will then invent the science of necrohistory, allowing him to use advanced mathematics to predict future zombie incursions, and thereby alter the future course of history by establishing a zombie-resistant colony at the outer edge of the galaxy to weather the onslaught.

Any publishers interested in pursuing the idea can contact me at johnnypez9@gmail.com, and since I'm an as-yet unpublished writer, I'll come pretty cheap. Have your people call my people, and we'll do lunch.

No comments: